Whereas, due to the aggressive propagation of the new sexual morality in recent decades, the
percentage of the population of the United States of America identifying themselves as homosexual in 2017 has risen to 4.5%and the percentage of those identifying as “transgender” is approximately 0.7%;and
Whereas, this new sexual morality bases itself on the idea that gender is fluid and is not fixed and connected to biology; and
Whereas, the Bible opposes this new sexual morality and presents an entirely different ethical orientation, including that toward human sexual conduct and desire.
1) God created humanity male and female. “So God created man in His ownimage; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.” (Genesis 1:27)
2) God created one specific male, Adam, and one specific female, Eve, and brought them together sexually. See Genesis 2 and Jesus’ comments in Mark 10:6-12. Male and female are biological terms, while husband and wife are terms associated with gender. The husband is the male and the wife female. Gender and gender roles are, thus, linked to biological sex.
3) God’s creational design was marred by Adam’s fall into sin. “Gender dysphoria” and transgenderism are perversions of God’s design and afflictions due to sin and are not in any way normative. The Bible condemns gender confusion. “A woman shall not wear anything that pertains to a man, nor shall a man put on a woman’s garment, for all who do so are[a]an abomination to the Lordyour God.”(Deuteronomy 22:5)
4) Those afflicted by the slavery to sinful desires are called to turn to the Lord Jesus Christ for redemption and hope. Jesus calls all to freedom in these words: “Come toMe, all youwho labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.Take My yoke upon youand learn from Me, for I am gentle andlowly in heart,and you will find rest for your souls.For My yoke iseasy and My burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30)
5) Jesus’ redemptive might is more powerful than human sin (Romans 5:20) and is great enough to overcome all manner of sin, even sexual sin and perversion. “Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.” (1 Corinthians 6:9-11) Now, therefore, be it
Resolved that the 83rd General Synod of the Bible Presbyterian Church, meeting in Tacoma,
Washington, August 1-5, 2019, calls on all Christians not to conform to this world, but to be transformed by the renewing of our minds by the Word of God. We must walk according to God’s holy standards through the redemption of Jesus Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit. The church of Jesus Christ must reject worldly standards that are at odds with God’s Word, and the church must promote God’s standards as expressed in Holy Scripture.
https://news.gallup.com/poll/234863/estimate-lgbt-population-rises.aspx– accessed 4 August 2019.
Some of the material above has been adapted from PursueGod.org, specifically https://www.pursuegod.org/transgenderism-and-the-bible/– accessed 4 August 2019.